The highlight of the year was having guest speakers like Steven Riley visit our school. His high energy, extremely engaging storytelling and humor made a huge impression on the students. The excitement generated was not only for the books he wrote but for each student now wanting to write their own stories and create their own unique characters, which was truly amazing.—Todd Kemmerer, Counselor, Children First Academy, Tempe, Arizona
‘Build-a-Book’, spark a smile, and launch an imagination!
In tandem with Kids Need to Read, author and Advisory Council member Steven Riley has developed a truly one-of-a-kind approach to reading—one that encourages a love of books quite literally from within!
A man of a thousand characters (and quite the character himself), Steven Riley and his interactive Build-a-Book workshops walk children through every step of the creative process, planting the seed of a simple idea and then watching it grow as young minds conspire and collaborate toward their own literary masterpiece.
Fun, silly, and invariably epic, the results are predictably unpredictable, with no two outcomes ever quite the same. Yet wherever the story may lead, one thing never changes: since its inception in 2010, Build-a-Book has been delighting and energizing children like few programs can. Of course, the reason for this success might just be the man behind the plan, Mr. Riley himself. Steven has a remarkable gift for connecting with kids of all ages, coaxing the shy into participation while harnessing extroverted energy. Along the way, all in attendance—children and adults alike—are treated to the hilarious hijinks of a natural-born showman. Seriously, we dare you not to laugh!
A wonderful friend to Kids Need to Read, Steven Riley brings to the organization a unique blend of enthusiasm and storytelling flair, fueled by a true passion for education. Originally a once-a-year experience held during Phoenix Comicon, we have since been privileged to expand his magical workshop to the classroom, incorporating it into Kids Need to Read’s literacy programs with genuinely inspired results.
We look forward to continuing this partnership well into the future and to bringing such a special experience to as many children as possible. You know you’re onto something extraordinary when the kids forget they’re learning!
Learn more about Build-a-Book
- Arizona Coyotes Light the Lamp for KNTR
- Author Steven Riley Inspires “READ Together” Kids
- Phoenix Pi Beta Phi Alumnae Club & KNTR: Passionate for Literacy
- Howling for Books: AZ Coyotes/Howler Partner with KNTR at Phoenix Comicon, Homeward Bound
- Living a Creative Life: A Discussion with Author/Illustrator Steven Riley
- A Better Arizona: Kids Need to Read provides books to disadvantaged Arizona school kids
- Arizona Coyotes & Community Relations visit Homeward Bound
- Kids Need to Read Inspires Phoenix Area Students to Read
- Geeks, Superheroes, and the Mighty Phoenix Comicon Bring in $28,000 for KNTR
- Steven Riley: Slapstick Story Creation
- So Much Fun! (Don’t Tell the Kids They Were Learning!) KNTR Build-a-Book Program with Steven Riley
- Great Fun Celebrating Phoenix Library Friends 35th!
- Kids Laugh and Learn at KNTR Build-a-Book Program with Steven Riley
- KNTR Experiences Phenomenal Success at Phoenix Comicon!
- Memories of the KNTR HIKRZ Jamboree, Presented by GoDaddy.com
- Surviving Riley: Yukking it Up for Kids!